This Mediterranean Pizza is drizzled with olive oil and topped with garlic, cheese, veggies, and pine nuts. It's a healthy & delicious meal that is easy to make and ready in just 30 minutes!
Pizza just may be my favorite food ever! I usually go for the saucy variety however sometimes like to mix it up, and this Mediterranean-style pizza does not disappoint.
Did you know the Mediterranean Diet was named THE BEST overall diet for the past 5 years straight? Yes! Numerous studies have shown that it can promote weight loss and reduce the risk of heart attack, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and premature death.
Pizza can be part of the Mediterranean Diet so long as you use the right ingredients. This Mediterranean pizza is made with wholesome ingredients and contains 12 grams of healthy fat and 4 grams of fiber per slice!
No sauce is used on this pizza which allows all of the Mediterranean flavors to shine! Here is what you'll need:
Pizza Dough - This dough is made with white whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt. White whole wheat flour is healthier than white flour but not as dense as whole wheat flour. You could also use a pre-made crust if you're short on time like I did with my Easy Caprese Flatbread Pizza.
Olive Oil - is used abundantly in Mediterranean cooking and provides some healthy fat.
Cheese - Both fresh mozzarella and crumbled goat cheese are used in this recipe. I prefer to use mozzarella pearls however slices would work too!
Vegetables - Artichokes, plum tomatoes, orange bell pepper, and red onion balance this pizza out nicely.
Pine Nuts - add a little crunch and heavenly goodness!
First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
While the oven is preheating, prepare the pizza dough by whisking together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Flax seeds and hemp seed hearts are optional but add a nice nutritional boost! Stir in the Greek yogurt and olive oil. Knead the dough until combined.
On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into an 11-12" circle.
Transfer the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Coat the pizza dough with olive oil and garlic. Bake for 5 minutes.
Remove from the oven and add the mozzarella cheese and vegetables.
Sprinkle on the crumbled goat cheese and pine nuts.
Bake in the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Broil for one minute if you'd like to brown the cheese. Serve, and enjoy!
This recipe is so versatile! Swap out any of the ingredients with YOUR favorite Mediterranean pizza toppings!
- White Whole Wheat Flour - You could also use all-purpose flour.
- Olive oil - Feel free to substitute pesto, balsamic glaze or even hummus!
- Cheese - Ricotta, feta, and halloumi would be great too!
- Herbs & Spices - Sprinkle on oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil or some crushed red pepper to turn up the heat!
- Veggies - Arugula, roasted red peppers, sun-dried or cherry tomatoes, black olives, Kalamata olives, zucchini, and mushrooms would all be fantastic!
♨️ Storage and Reheating
Store: Place any leftover pizza in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Place pizza on a sheet pan and place into the freezer. Once frozen, transfer slices into a freezer bag or freezer-safe, airtight container and store for up to 3 months.
Thaw: Be sure to thaw in the refrigerator overnight prior to reheating.
Reheat: Heat pizza in a 400 degree oven for 5-8 minutes.
💭 Helpful Hints
If your pizza dough is too dry, add a teaspoon or two of water. If the dough is too sticky, knead a little flour into it.
Don't overcrowd the pizza with toppings or the crust may become soggy or undercooked.
I find that toasting the pine nuts prior to adding them on the pizza brings out the most flavor. Simply toss with a teaspoon of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
🥗 What to Serve with Mediterranean Pizza
This pizza is pretty hearty, so I'd recommend pairing it with a light appetizer or dessert.
🍷 More Mediterranean Recipes
- 1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Flax Seeds optional
- l Tablespoon Hemp Seed Hearts optional
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt plain
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil extra virgin
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- ½ cup Mozzarella Cheese fresh
- ¼ cup Goat Cheese crumbled
- 12 ounce jar Artichoke Hearts drained
- 2 Plum Tomatoes sliced
- ¼ cup Red Onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Orange Bell Pepper thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons Pine Nuts
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, flax and hemp seeds.
- Stir in the Greek yogurt and olive oil. Knead the dough until combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into an 11-12" circle.
- Transfer dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Coat the dough with olive oil and garlic.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Add the mozzarella cheese and vegetables.
- Sprinkle on the goat cheese and pine nuts.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Broil for an additional minute to brown the cheese (optional).
- Use a pre-made pizza crust if you are short on time.
- All-purpose flour can be substituted for white whole wheat flour.
- If your pizza dough is too dry, add a teaspoon or two of water.
- If your pizza dough is too sticky, knead in a little flour.
- I prefer to use mozzarella pearls, however slices would work too.
- Feel free to swap any of the ingredients with YOUR favorite Mediterranean toppings: pesto, balsamic glaze, hummus, ricotta, feta, halloumi, oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, crushed red pepper, arugula, roasted red peppers, sun-dried or cherry tomatoes, Kalamata or black olives, zucchini, and mushrooms.
- Don't overcrowd the pizza toppings or your crust may become soggy or undercooked.
- Toast the pine nuts prior to adding them to the pizza for best flavor. (Toss with 1 teaspoon olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until golden brown.)