This Mediterranean Rice is made with brown rice, vegetable broth, onion, garlic, spices, and toasted pine nuts. It is so fragrant, flavorful and perfect to serve alongside your favorite Mediterranean meal!
The Mediterranean Diet was voted the best overall diet by US News and World Report for the fifth consecutive year and for good reason. It focuses on plant-based eating, and studies have shown that it reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and overall mortality.
Brown Rice is a whole grain and provides more fiber, vitamins & minerals than white rice.
Vegetable Broth adds some nice flavor.
Onion & Garlic take this rice to the next level!
Olive Oil is used abundantly in Mediterranean cooking and provides some healthy fat.
Spices used include oregano, cumin, plus turmeric which gives the rice a nice vibrant yellow color.
Pine Nuts are a great source of protein and iron, and toasting them makes them irresistibly delicious!
How to Make Mediterranean Rice
Making this rice is simple! First, saute the onion with olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
Next, add the rice, broth, and spices. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat, and simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until all of the broth has been absorbed.
Remove from heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes. Remove cover, fluff with a fork, and stir in the toasted pine nuts.
How to Toast Pine Nuts
Toasting pine nuts is easy! Add them to a dry small pan , and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Be sure to stir them frequently to prevent burning.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment below. I love to hear from my readers!
More healthy side dishes:
- Avocado Flower
- Chickpea Salad
- Healthy Cole Slaw
- Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
- Eech (Armenian Bulgur Salad)
- Easy Cucumber Tomato Salad with Balsamic & Dill
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- ½ Yellow Onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 cup Brown Rice long grain
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin
- Black Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup Pine Nuts toasted
- Saute the onion in a medium saucepan with olive oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the rice, broth, and spices. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat, and simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until all of the broth has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes. Remove cover, fluff with a fork, and stir in the toasted pine nuts.