Fragrant and flavorful, Cilantro Lime Brown Rice is perfect to serve alongside your favorite Mexican meal. It is super simple to make and requires just a few ingredients!
The Health Benefits of Brown Rice
Brown rice is a whole grain that is unprocessed and is rich in nutrients. Whole grains are heart healthy, good for digestion, and may decrease inflammation and the risk of cancer and stroke!
Some people shy away from rice because they have a fear that carbohydrates cause weight gain. Don't let that be you! Just be cautious of your portion sizes. Carbohydrates give our bodies energy, and brown rice in particular is a good source of fiber, magnesium, manganese, selenium, and B vitamins.
Ingredients you will need
Brown Rice - I prefer using small grain brown rice which tends to stick together and sort of reminds me of risotto. Feel free to substitute long grain rice if you prefer!
Olive Oil adds some nice flavor and heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
Fresh Cilantro - a small bunch or about ¼ cup of finely chopped cilantro is used in this recipe.
Fresh Lime - Both the juice and zest are used in this recipe - 2 tablespoons each!
Black Pepper to taste.
How to prepare Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
First, add 1 ¾ cups of water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
Add 1 cup of brown rice and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until all of the water has been absorbed.
While the rice is cooking, zest and juice the lime, and finely chop the cilantro.
When the rice is done, remove from heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes.
Remove cover and fluff with a fork. Stir in cilantro, lime juice, and lime zest. Add black pepper to taste (if desired). It's that easy!
Yes, absolutely! Minute rice will shorten the cooking time and still provides all of the nutrition benefits.
You could, but I wouldn't recommend it. Fresh ingredients are what make this side dish so spectacular!
This rice could be used as a filler for enchiladas, in a burrito bowl, or with any Mexican food such as tacos or Flautas.
Did you make this recipe? Leave me a comment below. I love to hear from my readers!
Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
- Medium Saucepan
- 1 cup Brown Rice
- 1 ¾ cups Water
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil extra virgin
- ¼ cup Fresh Cilantro finely chopped
- 1 Lime zested and juiced
- Black Pepper to taste
- Add water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice and olive oil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until all of the water has absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, zest and juice the lime, and finely chop the cilantro.
- When the rice is done, remove from heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and fluff with a fork. Stir in the cilantro, lime juice, and lime zest.
- Add black pepper to taste.
- The cooking time may vary according to which brand of rice you are using. (Refer to package directions.)
- I used small grain rice, but you could also use long grain.
- If you are short on time, you could even use brown minute rice.
- One lime will provide about 2 tablespoons of juice and 2 tablespoons of zest.