This Quinoa Salad with Cumin & Lemon is packed full of wholesome ingredients and bold flavors! Never cooked with quinoa (KEEN-wah) before? Don’t be scared! It’s an easy and excellent source of protein, fiber, and minerals. Serve it as a side dish, or add some grilled chicken or beans and make it a meal!
What is Quinoa?
Quinoa is known as an ancient grain, as it’s been around for thousands of years. However, it’s actually a seed! It has a similar texture to rice or barley and can be added to soups or salads to help boost the fiber and protein content. It is simple to prepare and takes only 15 minutes to cook!
- It is recommended that you rinse quinoa, to remove it’s natural coating, called saponin, which can make it taste bitter. Most pre-packaged quinoa is pre-rinsed for you!
- You may toast your quinoa in a tablespoon or two of oil prior to boiling it, to enrich it’s flavor
- 1 cup of dry quinoa will require 2 cups of water for cooking , simmer covered for 15 minutes on low heat
- an alternative cooking method would be to add your dry quinoa to several cups of boiling water, simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, and then drain, just as you would pasta
- 1 cup of dry quinoa will yield 3 cups of cooked quinoa, so be careful if you are adding to soup!
Quinoa Salad with Cumin and Lemon
- 4 cups Water
- 2 cups Quinoa
- 3 medium Tomatoes diced
- 1 medium Cucumber diced
- 1/2 Red Onion diced
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Mint fresh, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add quinoa, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, dice the tomato, cucumber and onion. Chop the mint. Zest and juice the lemon.
- Remove the quinoa from the heat, fluff with a fork, and let cool.
- Once cool, add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Did you try this recipe?
Leave a comment below and let me know how you liked it!
Other recipes you may enjoy: