This Zesty Quinoa Salad with Cumin & Lemon is healthy, refreshing, and so flavorful! Perfect for your next summer BBQ, or stir in your favorite protein and you've meal prepped your lunches for the week!
What is Quinoa?
Never cooked with quinoa (KEEN-wah) before? Don't be scared! It's an easy and excellent source of protein, fiber, and minerals that cooks up in just 15 minutes! This ancient grain has been around for thousands of years and has a similar texture to rice and barley.
Quinoa - any type will do (white, red, black, tri-color)
Fresh Vegetables - tomato, cucumber and red onion
Lemon - both the juice and zest are used
Olive Oil & Red Wine Vinegar - for a rich, flavorful dressing
Herbs & Spices - fresh mint, cumin, salt and pepper
How to Make
This zesty quinoa salad is super simple to make! First, you will cook the quinoa and then allow it to cool.
While the quinoa is cooking and cooling, you will chop the tomato, cucumber, red onion, and mint. Zest and juice the lemon.
Next, toss together the quinoa, vegetables, lemon juice and zest, mint, olive oil, vinegar, and spices in a large mixing bowl.
The salad may be served right away or stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Did you make this recipe? Leave me a rating and comment below. I love to hear from my readers!
Other summer sides you are sure to love-
- Chickpea Salad
- Grilled Pineapple
- Healthy Coleslaw
- Fiesta Corn and Avocado Salad
- Superfood Salad with Kale & Blueberries
- Cucumber Tomato Salad with Balsamic & Dill
Have you joined the Hoorah to Health community on social media yet?
Zesty Quinoa Salad with Cumin & Lemon
- 2 cups Quinoa
- 3 Tomatoes chopped
- 1 Cucumber chopped
- ½ Red Onion finely chopped
- 1 Lemon juiced and zested
- ¼ cup Fresh Mint finely chopped
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the quinoa, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the quinoa from the heat, fluff with a fork, and let cool.
- While quinoa is cooking/cooling, chop the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and mint. Zest and juice the lemon.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the quinoa, vegetables, mint, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and spices.