These grilled sweet potatoes in foil are the perfect side dish to serve alongside a burger at your next summer barbecue, and they are SO simple to make!Jump to Recipe
The weather is finally warming up and you know what that means... summer BBQ's and cooking on the grill, whoo-hoo! These savory sweet potatoes are one of my favorite items to grill, not to mention they are super healthy! Just one serving will provide you with FOUR times the recommended daily intake of vitamin A!
Grilled Sweet Potato Ingredients
This grilled sweet potato recipe comes together quite easily with just a few ingredients.
- Sweet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Rosemary (crushed)
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
Dried rosemary leaves can sometimes feel like sharp needles. That is why I like to crush them with a few pulses in my coffee grinder. This produces more of a ground spice, and I find that it infuses the flavor more throughout your dish. Don't have a coffee grinder? Just place the rosemary between two sheets of waxed paper or inside of a heavy-duty food storage bag and run a rolling pin across them to crush.
Feel free to mix up the spices as you like. Sometimes I will add cumin, cayenne pepper and/or chili powder to spice them up. I've also made them with sliced onions and peppers, which is delicious too!
How to Make Grilled Sweet Potatoes in Foil
First, fire up your grill! If you have a temperature gauge, heat it up to 400-450 degrees. Cut your sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and then slice them up. It is entirely up to you whether you peel your potatoes or not. Leaving the skin on will provide you with some extra fiber; just be sure to wash them well.
Next lay out two pieces of aluminum foil (about 12 x 15 inches) and divide the sweet potatoes onto each. Drizzle with olive oil and add the rosemary, onion powder, salt & pepper. Mix them up a bit to evenly distribute the spices.
Wrap them up securely in 2 layers of aluminum foil. and grill for 30 minutes, flipping them over halfway through. When finished, remove them from the grill, allow them to sit for 5 minutes, and then carefully open.
Other recipes you may enjoy:
For even MORE scrumptious recipes, be sure to visit my Facebook and Pinterest pages!
Grilled Sweet Potatoes in Foil
- Aluminum Foil
- 3 Sweet Potatoes medium
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil extra virgin
- ½ teaspoon Rosemary crushed
- ¼ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Turn on your grill.
- Wash and peel the potatoes, cut in half lengthwise, and then into slices.
- Divide the sweet potato slices onto 2 pieces of aluminum foil.
- Drizzle with olive oil and add the rosemary, onion powder, salt & pepper. Mix them up a bit to evenly distribute the spices.
- Wrap the potatoes up securely in 2 layers of aluminum foil (about 12x15 inches)
- Grill for 30 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.
- Remove from the grill and let sit for 5 minutes. Open carefully and serve.
- If your grill has a temperature gauge, heat it up to 400-450 degrees.
- It is entirely up to you whether you peel your potatoes or not. Leaving the skin on will provide you with some extra fiber; just be sure to wash them well.
- Crush the rosemary by pulsing in a coffee grinder for a few seconds or place between two pieces of waxed paper or in a heavy-duty food storage bag and run a rolling pin over them.
- Feel free to mix up the spices as you like. Sometimes I will add cumin, cayenne pepper and/or chili powder to spice it up.
- I've also made them with sliced onions and peppers, which is delicious too!
These look delicious. I love grilled potatoes. My goal this summer is to become more proficient at grilling. I'm going to add these as a side dish for the burgers I have planned this week. Thanks!
Awesome! Enjoy. 🙂
Sounds delicious I love rosemary with sweet potatoes! These sweet potatoes will definitely be made for our next summer BBQ!
Hope you enjoy them as much as we do, Luci!
So glad you enjoyed them! They are a family favorite.
Thanks, Sharon. Enjoy! 🙂
These look delicious! Can't wait to fire up the grill!
Thanks so much Kara. Hope you love them just much as I do!
This looks great. I'll have to try it next time I grill.
You will love them Jeanette!
I love easy ways to cook during the summer and sweet potatoes are such a good grill item. Thanks!
You're welcome Heidi! Enjoy. 🙂
Oo looks SO yum! Do you know if this works in a smoker too? We have a Traeger! Would love to try!
My husband and I have been talking about getting a smoker. Looks like you would need to smoke them whole. Found this recipe for you- https://thecookinchicks.com/smoked-sweet-potatoes/
There's something about cooking in foil that makes it feel like camping season and summer!
Right? They are sooo good!
These are so easy to prepare! Even better that you can make them on the BBQ while enjoying the outdoors :).
Grilling produce makes it so so good! Perfect for summer.
Agreed Erin! 🙂
Yum! I love sweet potatoes. So good and nutritious!
They are the best!
So simple yet so delicious. Thanks for this great idea!
You're welcome Jodi. Enjoy!
Had these last night- really enjoyed the flavor!
Thanks so much Kim! 😊
Had these tonight. They were so delicious! The rosemary adds a special touch to these grilled sweet potatoes.
So glad you enjoyed them, Sharon! 😊
This recipe is beyond delicious 😋
Thanks, Traci! It's one of my favorites too!!