Delicata squash is drizzled with avocado oil, sprinkled with cinnamon, and roasted to perfection to create this delectable dish!
If you've never cooked a delicata squash before, then you're in for a treat! It's easy to prepare, requires only 3 ingredients, and is so tasty. And unlike other winter squash, there is no need to peel the skin from a delicata - it's edible!
The texture of a delicata squash is rich and creamy. Serve it as a side dish or chop it up and add it to a salad. My favorite way to eat it is right out of the refrigerator, cold as a snack!
The Health Benefits of Delicata Squash
Delicata squash are packed full of vitamins A & C, magnesium, potassium, and fiber all of which support heart health, eye health, a healthy immune system and digestive tract, and may reduce your risk of developing certain types of cancer. They are also naturally low in calories, sodium, and saturated fat.
How to cut a delicata squash
First trim off the ends and slice in half lengthwise. Next you will scoop out the seeds with a spoon and cut the squash into ½ inch slices.
How to Roast the squash
Coat the slices of squash with the avocado oil.
Arrange the slices on a baking sheet and roast in the oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until the bottoms have browned. Turn the slices over and then roastnfor another 15 minutes or until tender.
Other Seasoning Ideas
There are so many seasonings that would taste great on roasted delicata squash. Here are a few-
- salt & pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- curry powder
- chili powder
- cayenne pepper
Wash the squash well, as you will be eating the skin.
Save the seeds and roast them just as you would with pumpkin seeds!
You may substitute olive oil, however it has a higher smoke point and may burn more easily. Keep a good eye on them!
When placing the squash slices on a baking sheet, space them out or they will not roast or caramelize well for that incredible flavor!
Double the recipe, as you are going to wish you made more! 😃
Did you make this recipe? Leave me a rating and comment below. I love to hear from my readers!
More fall favorite recipes you are sure to love-
- Hot Wassail
- Autumn Squash Soup
- Pumpkin Risotto with Crispy Kale
- Maple Roasted Butternut Squash
- Gnocchi with Pumpkin Thyme Sauce
- Broccoli Crunch Salad with Apples & Almonds
Have you joined the Hoorah to Health community on social media yet? Find us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Roasted Delicata Squash
- 1 Delicata Squash
- 2 teaspoons Avocado Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash squash well.
- Trim off the ends and slice the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon and cut the squash into ½ inch slices.
- Coat the slices with avocado oil.
- Sprinkle on the cinnamon.
- Roast for 15 minutes or until the bottoms have browned. Turn on the slices over and roast for another 15 minutes or until tender.
- Wash the squash well, as you will be eating the skin.
- Save the seeds and roast them just as you would with pumpkin seeds!
- You may substitute olive oil, however it has a higher smoke point and may burn more easily. Keep a good eye on them!
- When placing the squash slices on a baking sheet, space them out or they will not roast or caramelize well for that incredible flavor!
- Double the recipe as you are going to wish you made more!