What is Hot Wassail?
Hot wassail is a fragrant, mulled apple cider. There are many variations, but I enjoy mine with sliced oranges, cranberries, and cinnamon! It will fill your house with the sweet and spicy scents of the holidays, as it simmers on your stovetop. Ahhh!
According to WhyChristmas.com, the word wassail comes from the Anglo-Saxon phrase “waes Hael”, which means good health. Wassailing was an ancient tradition, in which people drank merrily (their wassail was spiked) and Christmas caroled from house to house, or at apple orchards to ensure a good apple harvest for the following year.
Such a carol went like this-
Here we come a-wassailing
Among the leaves so green,
Here we come a-wassailing,
So fair to be seen.
Love and joy come to you,
And to you your wassail too,
And God bless you and send you,
A happy New Year,
And God send you,
A happy new year.
Here is a YouTube link if you are more of an audio person!
Nowadays, hot wassail not only can be enjoyed during the holidays, but all throughout the cold winter months. What better to warm up with after a cold day of sledding or ice skating than a hot, piping cup of hot wassail? Some families like to make a tradition of drinking wassail when they put up their Christmas tree each year, some on Christmas eve, others on Christmas morning.
When will you be drinking your wassail? Pin this recipe for later and make a tradition of your own!
- 8 cups Apple Cider
- 2 cups Orange Juice
- 2 cups Pineapple Juice
- 1 Orange sliced
- 1/2 cup Cranberries
- 4 Cinnamon Sticks
- Add all ingredients into a large pot.
- Simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Ladle into mugs, and serve.
- While you might be tempted to simmer for hours on end (your house will smell heavenly), I would not recommend this. If it simmers for too long, the wassail will condense and become super sweet.
- You could also add apple slices, cloves, ginger, or nutmeg if desired.
- I suppose you could even add a little rum (I won’t tell).
- May refrigerate up to 5 days.
Did you try this recipe?
Leave a comment below and let me know how you liked it!
Other recipes you may enjoy-