You are going to LOVE this healthy coleslaw recipe! It combines colorful veggies, oil & vinegar, a small amount of pure maple syrup for sweetness, and some sunflower seeds for added crunch!Jump to Recipe
When you think of coleslaw, do you visualize soggy green cabbage saturated in dressing? Well, no worries my friends, I've got THE BEST coleslaw recipe for you that is vegan without using dairy or mayonnaise.
Have you ever made homemade coleslaw before? If not, believe me when I say that it's super simple to prepare and only requires some slicing and dicing of vegetables. Heck, you could even pick up a bag of pre-shredded cabbage and carrots to save you even more time! (I won't tell!) 😉
Healthy Coleslaw Ingredients
This coleslaw recipe is low in calories and high in vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. Just look at this line-up of healthy ingredients!
- bell peppers
- green onion
- sunflower seeds
- olive oil
- apple cider vinegar
- pure maple syrup
- dill weed
- celery salt
- black pepper
How to Prepare the Coleslaw
First, shred the cabbage. I use a food processor, but you could also thinly slice the cabbage with a knife or purchase it pre-shredded. One medium head of cabbage will provide you with 14 cups of shredded cabbage!
Next, shred the carrots, chop the bell peppers, and slice the green onion. Add all of the vegetables and sunflower seeds to a large bowl.
For the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, dill weed, celery salt, and black pepper. Drizzle over the vegetables and toss to coat.
Garnish with additional black pepper, dill, and/or green onion, as desired.
You can store the coleslaw in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The flavor will intensify as the vegetables marinate. It's the perfect make-ahead-dish for your next summer picnic, potluck, or BBQ. I love to use up any leftover slaw by adding it to my sandwiches!
Here are some of Hoorah to Health's other summer side dishes for you to enjoy:
- Chickpea Salad
- Avocado Flower
- Grilled Pineapple
- Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- Blueberry Zucchini Bread
- Fiesta Corn and Avocado Salad
- Superfood Salad with Kale and Blueberries
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
Healthy Cole Slaw
- 1 head Cabbage shredded (14 cups)
- 3 medium Carrots shredded (2 cups)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper chopped
- ¼ cup Green Onion sliced
- 1 cup Sunflower Seeds
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- ⅓ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Celery Salt
- 1 teaspoon Dill Weed
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Add cabbage, carrot, bell pepper, green onion, and sunflower seeds to a large bowl.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, celery salt, dill weed, and black pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Garnish with additional black pepper, dill, and/or green onion.
- Add your cabbage to a food processor, thinly slice with a knife, or purchase pre-shredded cabbage - your choice!
- May be prepared ahead of time and stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The flavor intensifies as the vegetables marinate!
- Not only a delicious side dish, but great in sandwiches too!