If you are looking for some delicious homestyle comfort food, you are going to LOVE my chicken stew with biscuits! It has been a family favorite for the past couple of years and always gets rave reviews when brought to a potluck dinner.
Chicken Stew Ingredients
- Chicken Broth
- Pillsbury Flaky Biscuits
- Olive Oil
- Ground Thyme
- Black Pepper
What Makes this Chicken Stew Healthy?
When making a chicken stew, I like to substitute starchy vegetables (potatoes, corn, peas) with lower carbohydrate, lower calorie ingredients. With this recipe I chose to use onion, carrot, and celery, but you could add any vegetables you have on hand.
Sometimes I add broccoli, which gives it some nice color. I may even add a teaspoon of tumeric for some added health benefits (anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial). Tumeric also gives the stew a nice deep yellow color.
The elimination of cream and/or canned soup in this stew helps keep the saturated fat and sodium contents down.
Be sure to choose a chicken broth that is not too high in sodium. I chose one that is moderate with 560mg/cup, You could also look for "reduced sodium" on the label.
Is this Recipe Easy to Make?
Yes, this chicken stew is easy to make! I save myself a lot of time by purchasing a rotisserie chicken that is already cooked, and biscuits that are pre-packaged.
How do you Make Chicken Stew?
First you will chop your onion, carrot, and celery. I chop the celery leaves up, as well. They will give the stew some nice flavor.
Cook the vegetables over medium high heat with the oil for 5-7 minutes, or until soft.
Add butter and stir thoroughly.
Add flour and stir to coat all of your vegetables.
Gradually stir in your chicken broth. Add spices.
Stir in chicken and place the entire mixture into an ungreased 9 x 13 baking dish.
Tear biscuits into bite sized pieces and place on top of the stew. Garnish top with black pepper.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the biscuits are a nice golden brown. They will be crispy on the top and soft on the bottom, similar to dumplings. Mmm...
I hope this recipe becomes one of your family's favorites, as well. Please leave a comment below and let me know how you liked this homestyle chicken stew!
Other recipes you may enjoy:
Homestyle Chicken Stew with Biscuits
- 3 cups Chicken cooked
- 3 cups Carrot chopped
- 2 cups Celery chopped
- 1 Onion sweet
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 tube Pillsbury Biscuits flaky, grand
- ⅓ cup Flour
- 3 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Thyme ground
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Add olive oil and the vegetables to a frying pan and cook over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Add the flour and stir to coat all of the vegetables.
- Gradually stir in the chicken broth.
- Stir in the thyme and ¼ teaspoon of the black pepper.
- Stir in the chicken .
- Place the entire mixture into an ungreased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Tear the biscuits into bite sized pieces and place on top of the stew.
- Garnish with the remaining ¼ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the biscuits are a golden brown
- Using a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken will save you time.
- Ground thyme provides a much bolder flavor than using dried thyme leaves or fresh thyme.
- Choose a chicken broth that is not too high in sodium. The one I use is moderate with 560mg per cup.
- When chopping up the celery stalks, I include the celery leaves. They will give the stew a nice flavor.
- Feel free to substitute your favorite vegetables.
- Consider adding a teaspoon of tumeric. This spice has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties and will give the stew a nice deep yellow color.