The weather sure is getting colder. What perfect time to warm up with a nice bowl of soup! Packed full of peppers, onion, garlic, and tomatoes, this soup will provide you with enough nutrition to keep your immune system fully charged, and help keep you healthy during the winter months.
Ingredients for Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Green Bell Peppers
- Yellow Onion
- Vegetable Broth
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Black Beans
- Long Grain Brown Rice
- Italian Seasoning
- Black Pepper
- Olive oil
What is Stuffed Pepper Soup?
Stuffed Pepper Soup is basically all of the yummy ingredients you would use to make stuffed peppers, but in a soup! While some stuffed pepper recipes may call for ground beef and cheese, I choose to omit them due to their high saturated fat content. Instead, I add in some black beans which will actually help to LOWER your cholesterol.
How do I make Stuffed Pepper Soup?
First, you will need to chop your peppers & onions, and mince your garlic.
Heat the olive oil in a large pot, add your peppers & onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes longer.
Add the vegetable broth, rice, tomato, and spices. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes.
Add your black beans, and voila! Easy Peasy.
You may have noticed that I purchase my tomatoes and beans in tetra packs vs. cans. I do this, because they are BPA free. BPA's are chemicals found in plastic containers and in the linings of metal cans. Some of the BPA may end up leaching into your food or beverage, and may increase increase the risk of birth defects, cancer, and infertility. While the FDA states that small levels of BPH are safe, I choose to avoid them when at all possible!
I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do. Please leave a comment below and let me know what you think!
Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 6 medium Green Bell Peppers chopped
- 1 large Yellow Onion chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic minced
- 8 cups Vegetable Stock
- 3 cups Crushed Tomato
- 1 ½ cups Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups Brown Rice long grain
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¾ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add the green pepper and onion, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic, and cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the crushed tomato, rice, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the black beans. Let sit 3 minutes.
- Ladle into soup bowls, and serve.
Some of my other recipes, you may enjoy: