This decadent Chocolate Oatmeal is easy to make and so delicious! Made with wholesome ingredients, it's a great way to start the day!
Just a few basic pantry staples are needed to make this recipe.
Quick Oats - I often use quick oats because it only takes minutes to cook! Rolled oats or steel-cut oats may be substituted, you'll just need to adjust the cooking time.
Milk - I use oat milk but any type of milk will do.
Cocoa Powder adds some incredible chocolately goodness!
Flaxseed is optional and provides extra fiber, protein, omega 3 fatty acids, and lignans (phytochemical that decreases cancer risk).
Maple Syrup gives the oatmeal a little sweetness.
Salt - Just a pinch is added to enhance the flavor of the oatmeal!
How to make
The process is simple!
First add the oats, milk, cocoa powder, flaxseed, and salt to a saucepan.
Cook over medium-low heat for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and let sit for 2 minutes. Stir in the maple syrup, and serve!
Oatmeal is super healthy on it's own but can be even more healthy by topping it with fruit, nuts, and/or seeds!
Here are a few topping ideas for chocolate oatmeal:
ALMOND JOY - sliced almonds & shredded coconut
BANANA NUT - sliced banana & walnuts
BERRYLICIOUS - blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and/or strawberries
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHIA - chocolate chips & chia seeds
PEANUT BUTTER CUP - swirl in some peanut butter
Did you make this recipe? Leave me a comment below. I love to hear from my readers!
Frequently Asked Quesions
Yes, Absolutely! Add the ingredients to a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave on high for 1 ½ - 2 minutes.
Oatmeal can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Sure can! Oatmeal can be stored in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Other healthy breakfast recipes you are sure to love-
- Banana Nut Smoothie
- Coconut Lime Scones
- Blueberry Zucchini Bread
- Spinach, Tomato & Cheese Frittata
- Green Smoothie with Spinach, Banana & Mango
- Healthy Peach Crisp with Oat Topping and Pecans
- ½ cup Quick Oats
- 1 cup Milk any type
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Flaxseed optional
- pinch of Salt
- 1-2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- Add the oats, milk, cocoa powder, flaxseed, and salt to a saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the maple syrup, and serve!
- Rolled oats or steel-cut oats may be substituted, you'll just need to adjust the cooking time.
- I use oat milk but any type of milk will do.
- Chocolate Oatmeal Topping Ideas:
- ALMOND JOY - sliced almonds & shredded coconut
- BANANA NUT - sliced banana & walnuts
- BERRYLICIOUS - blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and/or strawberries
- DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHIA - chocolate chips and chia seeds
- PEANUT BUTTER CUP - swirl in some peanut butter