This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase a product, I may earn a small commission and it won't cost you any extra. Thank you so much for your support!
Okay, it's taken me a few weeks to perfect this recipe, but I think you're going to love it! It has all of the delicious ingredients of stuffed cabbage rolls, but in a soup!
I was gifted with my Instant Pot this past Christmas and was so excited to use it. But as I waited the long 15 minutes for the appliance to pressurize, I wondered is this really worth it? Oh yes! The flavors infused into this soup taste like it had been simmering on the stove for hours. Amazing!
This is my very first, of hopefully many, Instant Pot recipes. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Ingredients you will need to make Instant Pot - Cabbage Turkey Soup
- Green Pepper
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Ground Turkey
- Chicken Broth
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Bay Leaf
What is Farro?
Farro is an ancient grain that is packed full of protein, fiber, and minerals. It can be served as a side dish, in a casserole, soup, or stew. I chose to use farro in my cabbage turkey soup, as it holds up well during the pressure cooking process and does not get mushy.
How to Make Instant Pot - Cabbage Turkey Soup
First, chop your onion and pepper. Then cut the cabbage into 1" square pieces.
Set your Instant Pot to the saute setting and once heated up, add the onion and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes or until soft.
Add the turkey, onion powder, and garlic powder and cook until browned.
Add the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, farro, oregano, thyme, and bay leaf. Stir to combine.
Stir in the cabbage one cup at at time. Once all combined, lock the lid into place and seal the vent. Set to pressure cook on high for 15 minutes. Once done, slide the quick release button to the venting position. When the float valve drops, carefully remove the lid, ladle into bowls, and enjoy!
Instant Pot - Cabbage Turkey Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 head green cabbage chopped into 1" pieces
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 pound turkey ground
- ½ cup farro uncooked
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon thyme
- ¾ teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Set your Instant Pot to the saute setting. Once heated up, add the olive oil, onion, and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the turkey, onion powder, and garlic powder. Cook for 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Add the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, farro, oregano, thyme, and bay leaf. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the cabbage one cup at a time.
- Lock the lid into place and seal the vent. Set to pressure cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Place the quick release button into the vent position and let all of the steam escape.
- Once the float valve drops, carefully remove the lid.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Ladle soup into bowls, and enjoy!I
- I prefer to use farro in place of rice, because it does not get mushy during the pressure cooking process. Farro is an ancient grain that is packed full of protein, fiber, and minerals. Find it right near the rice in your supermarket!
- Use a chicken broth that is not too high in sodium. The one I chose had 560mg of sodium per cup.
- Season with black pepper, if desired.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Other recipes you may enjoy: