Chicken Fricassee is a classic French dish that my mom used to make for us kids when we were growing up. It is a delicious saucy stew with shreds of tender juicy chicken that can be served over mashed potato, biscuits, or rice pilaf. It's the ultimate comfort food and is quick and easy to make in the Instant Pot!
Chicken Fricassee Ingredients
- Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Broth
- White Wine (optional)
What Other Ingredients can I use in Chicken Fricassee?
What is so great about this dish, is that it's very versatile! I like to add white wine to help intensify the flavor, but that is totally up to you! You can also add ¼ cup milk in place of ¼ cup of the broth if you prefer more of a white sauce. But avoid the heavy cream; we're trying to keep this healthy you know! As far as vegetables go, feel free add your favorites. Be adventurous and maybe try some turnip, broccoli, or mushrooms!
How do you make Chicken Fricassee in the Instant Pot?
First, set your Instant Pot to saute on high heat. While it is warming up, season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper and set aside.
Next, chop your onion, carrot, and celery.
Add the vegetables and butter to the Instant Pot and cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
Stir in the flour to coat the vegetables.
Add the white wine and simmer until thick and bubbly (about 2 minutes). Stir in the chicken broth, thyme, and sage. Next you will submerge those chicken breasts right into the sauce.
Lock the lid into place and seal the vent. Set to pressure cook on high for 20 minutes. (It will take about 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to pressurize before the cooking process starts.)
Once done, set the valve to the vent position to quickly release the pressure. Once the float valve drops, carefully remove the lid and break apart the chicken with a fork into bite sized pieces.
Today I served my Instant Pot Chicken Fricassee over Mashed Cauliflower and with roasted asparagus. It was scrumptious!
Did you make this recipe? Leave me a note in the comment section below and let me know what you thought. I love to hear from my readers! 🙂
Instant Pot Chicken Fricassee
- Instant Pot
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- ⅔ cup White Wine (optional)
- 1 Onion
- 1 large Carrot
- 1 stalk Celery
- 2 tablespoon Flour
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- ¾ teaspoon Thyme ground
- ¾ teaspoon Sage ground
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Set the Instant Pot to saute on high heat.
- While it is warming up, season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Chop the onion, carrot, and celery.
- Add the vegetables and butter to the Instant Pot and saute for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the flour to coat the vegetables.
- Add the white wine and stir, simmering for 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in the chicken broth, thyme, and sage. Submerge the chicken breasts into the sauce.
- Lock lid into place and seal the vent. Pressure cook on high for 20 minutes.
- Set valve to the vent position to quickly release the pressure. Carefully remove lid.
- Break apart the chicken with a fork into bite sized pieces.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- If you prefer more of a white sauce, add ¼ cup milk in place of ¼ of the chicken broth.
- Use a chicken broth that is not too high in sodium. The one I chose had 560mg of sodium per cup.
- Feel free to add your favorite vegetables!