Homestyle Chicken Stew with Biscuits
Delicious homestyle stew with chunks of tender chicken, scrumptious vegetables, and flaky biscuits -the ultimate comfort food that is SO easy to make!
- 3 cups Chicken cooked
- 3 cups Carrot chopped
- 2 cups Celery chopped
- 1 Onion sweet
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 tube Pillsbury Biscuits flaky, grand
- ⅓ cup Flour
- 3 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Thyme ground
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
Add olive oil and the vegetables to a frying pan and cook over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes, or until soft.
Add the butter and stir until melted.
Add the flour and stir to coat all of the vegetables.
Gradually stir in the chicken broth.
Stir in the thyme and ¼ teaspoon of the black pepper.
Stir in the chicken .
Place the entire mixture into an ungreased 9 x 13 baking dish.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Tear the biscuits into bite sized pieces and place on top of the stew.
Garnish with the remaining ¼ teaspoon of black pepper.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the biscuits are a golden brown
- Using a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken will save you time.
- Ground thyme provides a much bolder flavor than using dried thyme leaves or fresh thyme.
- Choose a chicken broth that is not too high in sodium. The one I use is moderate with 560mg per cup.
- When chopping up the celery stalks, I include the celery leaves. They will give the stew a nice flavor.
- Feel free to substitute your favorite vegetables.
- Consider adding a teaspoon of tumeric. This spice has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties and will give the stew a nice deep yellow color.
Serving: 8.Sodium: 386mgCalcium: 33mgVitamin C: 5mgVitamin A: 8294IUSugar: 8gFiber: 2gPotassium: 283mgCholesterol: 27mgCalories: 328kcalSaturated Fat: 6.5gFat: 14gProtein: 9gCarbohydrates: 38gIron: 1mg